Microsoft Outlook is one of the most popular email client used widely across the globe either independently or with Exchange server. However it may happens that different persons might be using its diverse released version as there are multiple versions of Outlook are available that is 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and many more. The reason behind its popularity is that it offers user friendly, easy interface and simple environment. No technical skill is required to utilize it, besides other than emails it provides stores for contacts, calendars, tasks , journals, etc.
But the fact is that the earliest version of MS Outlook 2000, 2002 has size limitation of 2 GB. If you are using Outlook 2002 the most significant cause that disables access of data is corruption of PST file due to size nearby 2 GB. PST files larger than 2 gigabytes will cause errors on Outlook. You can use the Truncation Utility Software to fix the errors related with 2 GB PST files.
Error Encounter due to 2 GB PST files Size!!
- Whenever you try to access or load an oversized PST file , then you will see the error message
"xxxx.pst cannot be accessed - 0x80040116"
"Errors have been detected in the file xxxx.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool"
- Whenever you try to receive New message to the PST file, Outlook will refuse to accept any new Message data and you will see the error
"The file could not be added to the folder. The action could not be completed"
"The file xxxx.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, then permanently (shift + del) delete them"
"Can't copy the item"
Error 0x80040116 is most common error occurring on the screen when the PST files of MS Outlook exceed the 2GB limitation. The error can be remedied with the help of 2 GB Truncate Tool. One can easily download the software from Microsoft site.
2GB Truncation Utility
As we all well known about ScanPST.exe which is helpful for repairing damage and corrupted PST files. In same way Microsoft provides another utility named "PST2GB.EXE". The software used to split large PST files size to resolve the issues related with oversized PST. PST2GB.EXE is specifically Truncate PST Tool helps to divide oversized PST files into smaller parts.
The best thing about the software is that the size of the truncated copy being created id defined and specified by users itself. Suppose you are unable to track the location of the tool then you can download it from Microsoft office website.
Steps to Run Truncate Tool!!
- Download the Truncation Utility software from the Microsoft site. Save the file to your desktop.
- When the download File finishes then moves the 2gb152.exe files to another file folder (Msstdfmt.dll,Msvbvm60.dll,Pst2gb.exe,Readme.rtf,Readme.txt).
- Open the PST2GB.EXE program, Browse corrupt PST files in it and click on Open.
- Then Click Create, Select the name and location of truncated file that you wish to create then click save.
- Then enter the amount of the PST data that one wish to truncate in the .pst file. There is no correct amount which one can use.
Note: It would be better to truncate at least 20 to 25 MB PST data. A user can truncate the data by 15% if 20 to 25 MB of data is easily truncated.
- After that Run ScanPST.EXE ( Inbox repair tool) on smaller parts
- Open the recovered PST file in MS Outlook
Note: ( This step is optional ) If the PST file opens then right-click the root folder, click on Properties and then click Compact Now to start the compression. It will take 4-8 hours to complete the compression process.
- If the PST file does not open then the truncate PST file would be rejected and the process would be repeated with original PST file. More data would be truncated in the first effort and then the process would be tried again.
Depending on Outlook version, install the update or hotfix. These updates prevent Outlook from allowing the PST file to exceed the 2 GB maximum file size. Use any one of the following approaches to manage the size of the PST files.
- Use more than one PST file
- Use the archive feature
- Save attachments to a file system folder and then delete them from messages
The 2 GB Truncation utility can be used to recover the data, but it is not 100 % successful. There are few limitations of the tool discussed below.
Limitation of 2GB Truncate Tool!!
- The software takes lots of time to split oversize PST file. If the process is not completed successfully then one have to repeat it again and again
- The Functionality of the tool is limited to 2GB PST files. If the size is greater than 2 GB, the software usually fails.
- Among the splitting process, the software also deletes some other data from PST files. And hence if you have no data backup of relevance files then their will chance that you loss any data.
Error : "Run time error 713 class not registered. You need following file to be installed on you"
Sometimes when you trying to run truncate the above errorencountered. To resolve this problem, one need to follow few simple steps:
- Search for the file MSSTDFMT.DLL file on your computer
- One it found, if it is not already in the C:\Windows directory, move it into this directory
- After that, Click on Start then Select Run and type cmd to open a command prompt
- In the command prompt, type regsvr32 "C:\Windows\msstdfmt.dll"
Outlook Recovery-Tool for successful recovery!!
From above information, it is clear that truncate Tool is not successful in many scenarios. In that case use Third Party PST File repair software. The utility used same as a truncate tool but providing you simple steps to recover lost data files. There is no size limitation as one can recover any numbers of data files.